April/May Wrap-Up (And a look at those months as a whole)
Back in April I made an April/May TBR here on InsideaDog: https://otaku.insideadog.com.au/april-may-tbr/
I wanted to reflect on that as a TBR and also talk about what I ACTUALLY read for those two months.
Originally I set 20 novels as my target for 2 months, which isn’t particularly high but isn’t exceptionally low either. Of those 20 books I read…3. That was a pretty poor effort on my behalf, but as a lover of writing lists just for the sake of lists, that was bound to happen.
Those three books that I succeeded in reading were:
– Once and For All by Sarah Dessen (4.5 Stars)
– Obsidio by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff (3 Stars)
– Love-Shy by Lili Wilkinson (3.5 Stars)
My overall stats for those two months were 13 novels and 20 manga. Again, a bit of a poor effort in my original goal set.
I’m not gonna lie, those two months have been SUPER busy filled with 2000-word papers, exams, assignments, performances and more, so they were definitely jam-packed full of stuff. Anywho…you’re not that interested in that stuff, so lets get to the rest of the books finished!
Alongside the three I mentioned before, I read:
– Love, Hate and Other Filters by Samira Ahmed (1 Star)
– # Famous by Jilly Gagnon (5 Stars)
– Jump (Twinmaker #1) by Sean Williams (4.5 Stars)
– Starry Eyes by Jenn Bennett (4.5 Stars)
– Yellow by Megan Jacobson (3 Stars)
– All of This is True by Lygia Day Penaflor (4 Stars)
– The Art of French Kissing by Brianna R. Shrum (3.5 Stars)
– Whisper (Whisper #1) by Lynette Noni (4.5 Stars)
– Bonjour Girl by Isabelle LaFleche (2.5 Stars)
– The Disappearance of Sloane Sullivan by Gia Cribbs (4.5 Stars)
– Anonymous Noise Manga Volumes 1-5 (4 Stars)
– Slamdunk Manga (re-read) Volumes 1-12 (5 Stars)
– Crimson Hero Manga Volumes 1-3 (4 Stars)
As you can see from those ratings, the contemporary YA reads and manga are clearly my favourite as a general rule, but I did also read a little bit out of my comfort zone too! I read two thrillers which really surprised me (The Disappearance of Sloane Sullivan and All of This is True), and also read a science fiction novel which also was a pleasant surprise (Jump)!
Unfortunately, I think I found one of my least favourite novels of the year in my first read, ‘Love, Hate and Other Filters’, which I may do a discussion post on at some point because I have a lot to say about it *face flushes angrily in preparation*
ANYWAYS, what are your thoughts on these books? And what books did you guys read in these two months?