2019 Inky Awards - Gold Longlist (Predictions)
Long time no see fellow booknerds!
Now that we’re being dragged by our ankles back into the spirit of school and study I thought it would be the right time to get down to business
Every year I play my own game of guessing what books I think will be on the Inky Awards longlists and also which ones I really want to be on the longlists. Previously I’ve never had anyone else partake in this little debate, but I would like to ask you for your own thoughts on the longlists to come!
So, because I have an obsessive compulsion to make lists, here we go.
My top picks for 2018 #LoveOzYA releases:
1. Neverland by Margot McGovern – Literally the top of the top of the top. I cannot stress how much I love this whimsical read. It was so eerie, a li’l creepy and super atmospheric. I would honestly demand everyone read this glorious book if I could.
2. Paris Syndrome by Lisa Walker – WHY DON’T I KNOW ANYONE WHO HAS READ THIS. It’s one of those books that just sticks in my mind, and I have referenced this book more times than I have fingers and toes. If you don’t own a copy, I highly recommend you get yourself one!
3. A Thousand Perfect Notes by C.G. Drews – Another top read! I’ve been following Cait for years and honestly, I did not expect to love this as much as I did. But I shouldn’t have been surprised – Cait has read soooo many books and her writing in her blogs and tweets always has me in fits of laughter. Also, I cannot thank her enough for writing a book about music that was accurate in its depiction of a musician (because y’all know that music books are usually a pet hate of mine).
4. Whisper by Lynette Noni – Wow, was this a surprise! I was lucky enough to get an early copy of this book last year and I lived for this book. It totally brought me back to those Shatter Me and Angelfall days. It was definitely their baby for sure!
5. Amelia Westlake by Erin Gough – Erin Gough’s writing is always the cream of the crop, and Amelia Westlake was no different. If you love Moxie by Jennifer Matthieu or the Spinster Club series by Holly Bourne, this is your book, no question about it.
What 10 books I think will be on the 2019 Inky Awards Gold Longlist:
– A Thousand Perfect Notes by C.G. Drews
– Whisper by Lynette Noni
– Amelia Westlake by Erin Gough
– Small Spaces by Sarah Epstein
– Stone Girl by Eleni Hale
– The Brightsiders by Jen Wilde
– Growing Up Aboriginal in Australia by Anita Heiss
– Lifel1k3 by Jay Kristoff
– Hive by A.J. Betts
– After the Lights Go Out by Lili Wilkinson
My spillovers that I almost put in the list:
– The Centre of My Everything by Allayne L. Webster
– P is for Pearl by Eliza Henry-Jones
– Tin Heart by Shivaun Plozza
– White Night by Ellie Marney
– Circus Hearts by Ellie Marney
– Neverland by Margot McGovern
– Between Us by Clare Atkins
– Changing Gear by Scot Gardner
– Meet Me at the Intersection by Rebecca Lim (and more)
This was really hard to figure out, and I’m already doubting myself.
What do you guys think? Which books do you wish to see on the longlist?